Editors, Garden & Gun Magazine
From the editors of Garden & Gun—the award-winning magazine known as “The Soul of the South”—comes a sublime and practical guidebook to the essentials of modern Southern living
The South has risen again: From the ubiquity of pickled ramps and Sazeracs on northern urban restaurant menus to the craze for bespoke leather goods, artisanal whisky, and regional literature, Americans have fallen under the charming spell of Southern culture. Now, the taste-making editors of Garden & Gun offer a compendium of essential Southern skills—drawn from tradition yet utterly modern—straight from leading experts and writers who embody the contemporary South. Beautifully designed and illustrated, this anthology-style manual includes more than 75 essays and instructional features on essential aspects of Southern life, including Food & Drink, Style, Entertaining, Home, Gardening, Sporting and The Outdoors, and Southern Tradition.
The Southerner’s Handbook contains such requisite information as:
• How to season grits, fry okra, and shuck an oyster
• How to drink bourbon, make moonshine, and mix the perfect Bloody Mary
• How to fly fish, shoot a dove, and bet on a horse
• How to set a sideboard, polish silver, and be a gracious host
• How to break in Western boots, fold a pocket square, and embrace seersucker
• How to write the Great Southern Novel, play a blues song, and tell a great story
As flavorful, authentic, and irresistible as the land and the people who inspire it, The Southerner's Handbook is the ultimate guide to being a Southerner (no matter where you live).