America First: Understanding the Trump Doctrine
SIGNED FIRST EDITIONDonald Trump, Statesman?
Critics dismissed the idea out of hand. Even his fans questioned whether President Trump could do what other presidents had considered impossible. But in less than two years, Trump has:
- Put North Korea on the path to de-nuclearization and peace with South Korea.
- Destroyed the "state" of the Islamic State.
- Forged a de facto alliance between Saudi Arabia and Israel.
- Doled out real punishment - not empty threats - for Syria's use of chemical weapons.
- Re-negotiated international trade deals on terms more favorable to the United States.
As Toma demonstrates, President Trump has restored American foreign policy to its traditional moorings, which anchored such "realist" presidents as George Washington, Dwight Eisenhower, and Ronald Reagan, who put American interests first, avoided unnecessary foreign entanglements, and pursued peace through strength. That foreign policy tradition made America great and, under President Trump's leadership, is making America great again.
When America has strayed from those principles - especially as witnessed in the foreign policies of such "idealist" presidents as Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, and Barack Obama - the results have been expensive in lives, treasure, and even international retreat.
Provocative, thorough, and engagingly written, Danny Toma's America First is the one book you need to understand how America can again lead the world and protect her own interests.